Sausage and Garbanzo Bean Soup

I love fall.  I love the changing leaves that invite you to be outside. And nothing tastes better after a fall day than soup. Soup is easy and affordable and that makes this mama happy.  Two things that help when you are feeding a table full every night. This is one of our recent favorites.  I am trying to use dried beans in my cooking now instead of grabbing the can.  It definitely takes more planning but I keep telling myself that it is worth it... not just in cost but also in nutrition and safety.  I have found bringing the beans to a boil prior to the overnight soaking is key.  We like our beans a little more on the mushy side so I usually cook them longer than instructed on the bag. The sweet potatoes are already made.  I like to bake two 9x13 pans full at the beginning of the week and then use them in different recipes.  Sweet potatoes make a great addition to any soup or chili. This soup comes to life with the incredible organic chicken sausage from Wegmans.  Any recipe you put this sausage into immediately becomes amazing.  Seriously, it's that good.  I love sausage and bacon because a little bit can flavor an entire pot of soup.  I cut the pieces up small so everyone feels like they are still getting some sausage in their bowl.... because a bowl without a piece of sausage will cause a revolt at my table. I hope you enjoy this meal as much as we do.  Please share your reviews. 






Sausage and Garbanzo Bean Soup

6 oz. super greens mix (kale, spinach, chard)
4 -5 cloves garlic, chopped
2 T olive oil
6 cups chicken stock
1 lb dried garbanzo beans, cooked
1 lb organic chicken sausage, cut into small bite size pieces
3 sweet potatoes, cooked, peeled and chopped


Brown sausage in a large soup pot with a little bit of bacon fat (or another cooking oil). Add in remaining ingredients. Heat to boiling and then simmer for 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Enjoy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

the dilemma of the special needs mama: to expect more or to redefine the expectation

lessons of christmas: joseph and mary

preparing for surgery: a surprise vacation