where is your focus?


As I headed into 2016, my list of goals for this year included a commitment to strengthening my body. I love to get outside and run.  I have found ways to continue moving over the years even if it meant pushing babies or getting up early in the morning.  This year, however, the hubby leaves for work at 5:45... and I am not that crazy... and I am homeschooling my eight year old, who is well beyond the years of being in a jogging stroller.  So I invested in some awesome exercise videos to do inside my home.  I love them.  Some days we make it a whole family event, even the kids get in on it.  The workouts are challenging for me and there are definitely moments when my brain starts to tell me to quit, but I keep pressing on because I have a goal.  The woman leading the exercises seems to know what is going on in my brain and keeps encouraging me to remember those goals.  A constant cheerleader giving encouragement to stay the course and push on with endurance.

Our spiritual life can also be seen as a workout or a race.  God even provides this analogy for us a few times throughout His Word.  Like this verse in Hebrews chapter 12.  In chapter 11 we are reminded of a long list of all the heroes of the faith throughout the ages.  God then tells us to consider this:

Therefore, since we have so great a cloud of witnesses surrounding us, let us also lay aside every encumbrance and the sin which so easily entangles us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.  

When things start to get off track in my life, it is most often because I have forgotten the truth found in Hebrews 12:1-2.  I need a reminder of how I am supposed to journey through this life.  I need to admit the areas in my life where sin has taken hold, confess them to God and accept His forgiveness.  I love how this verse in Hebrews describes our sin,  "so easily entangles us".   We think something is not that big of a deal and before we know it, we are completely trapped in the vines of sin.  Sin is a horrible trap but in many ways so much easier to recognize than our encumbrances or the things in our life that create a burden or distraction.  Encumbrances often masquerade as good things.  Even "good" things can become a burden and hold us back from our destiny.  But we are not without hope!  The answer? Remember Jesus; fix your eyes on Him.  David echos this Truth in Psalm 25:15  My eyes are continually toward the LORD, for He will pluck my feet out of the net.  How do we lay aside our sin and encumbrances?  By fixing our eyes on Jesus.

Jesus. He ignored the shame of the cross because He was focused, His eyes were fixed.  Fixed on obedience to the Father, fixed on the joy of the resurrection, fixed on the redemption of all of God's children, fixed on gathering us home.  His eyes were fixed.  Fixed on you and fixed on me.  Sit with that truth for a minute.

I love this old song by Michael Card.  The words so clearly describe the great love of God shown to us on the cross.

And why did it have to be
A heavy cross He was made to bare
And why did they nail His feet and hands
His love would have held Him there
It was a cross for on a cross
A thief was supposed to pay
And Jesus had come into the world
To steal every heart away


God then cheers us on in verse 3,  For consider Him, who has endured such hostility by sinners against Himself, so that you will not grow weary and lost heart.  Consider the men and women of the faith who have gone before, consider Jesus great sacrificial love.  God is encouraging us to press on with endurance.  In the midst of spring break plans, vacations, colorful eggs and bunnies, find some quiet to meditate on these Truths and consider this question, "Where is your focus?".  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

the dilemma of the special needs mama: to expect more or to redefine the expectation

lessons of christmas: joseph and mary

preparing for surgery: a surprise vacation