You are Invited...

Experts disagree on how many orphans there are in the world and what truly classifies a child as
an orphan.  Some say it is 210 million, some say 147 million, some say that both of these numbers are too high.  I say even 1 is too many.  My mind cannot even begin to wrap around a number like 147 million.  And this just speaks to the children.  This number does not include the countless number of young teenagers who are too old for an orphanage, but really too young to be out on their own with no money, no resources and no skills.  It is overwhelming.   There are so many different ways to get involved, many great organizations around the world to partner with, children to adopt or sponsor, families to come alongside and support.  When faced with information and too many choices, my brain starts to shut down.  Or I can begin to feel like how could anything I could do make any difference to such a huge number of children??

The thing I have to keep coming back to is this truth -  In the end it is not about me, this is God's
story for His children.  He calls me to be a part, he calls me to love, he calls me to serve, he calls
me to give all that I have - my time, my energy, my resources - for His Kingdom and His glory.
The results lay in His hands alone.  We are the instruments that He wants to play, we are His
hands and His feet in this world.  I love a quote by Helen Keller that says:

I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because
I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

After we brought Faith home, our minds were swirling about what to do with all we had seen and experienced.  We started opening our home once a quarter for people to gather to pray.  We will be meeting again on March 20.  You can come to our home anytime after 7pm.  We are
going to pray for children around the world, for the orphan care ministries worldwide, for the
body of Christ and those in our local community who are in the process of adoption.  It may not seem like much but it is a place to start and a way to stand in the gap for children worldwide who have no one praying for them.  It is always an amazing experience to share an evening with like-minded people, to share ideas and be encouraged.  I hope you can join us.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

the dilemma of the special needs mama: to expect more or to redefine the expectation

lessons of christmas: joseph and mary

preparing for surgery: a surprise vacation