not so perfect prayers

In my distress I called upon the LORD, And cried to my God for help; He heard my voice out of His temple, And my cry for help before Him came into His ears.  ~ Psalm 18:6



Today was hard.  From beginning to end, just hard.  I sat on the kitchen counter this evening as my hubby washed the dishes and breathed out a loud sigh.  "I don't think I could even begin to explain everything that went wrong today." I told him, "... there were just too many things."  Today was emotional and frustrating and overwhelming.  Today was a juggling act of balancing the needs of five children.  Today was painfully watching my daughter struggle with fear and disobedience.  Today was a reminder of past hurts and of things I wish I could change.  Today was things not going as planned and then another obstacle popping up.  Today was hard.  

As moms we have days like that.  Worn out.  Angry.  Confused.  Frustrated.  God wants to hear about it.  He isn't just looking for our quiet meditations.  No, He calls us to a real relationship.  We do not have to keep it all together.  We do not have to have an eloquent speech.  Days like this call for us to cry out.  What does it sound like when your child cries out to their Father?  I picture my little girl crying out for her Daddy.  She does not just give a soft little whimper.  Instead she wails and moans and pours out her heart to her Daddy.  

When do we lose this ability to be so raw with our emotions?  We grow up and we are too mature to cry out.  We are strong, we can handle anything, we are not going to fall apart.  There is a vulnerability in crying out to God.  It is an admission that we are in desperate need of a Father.  And so we bottle it up or we turn to other places to work out our emotions.  God wants real and He wants to hear your heart.  Don't be afraid to share all that emotion with God.  Get angry, yell, cry, moan.  He wants to hear it and He wants to be the place where you turn when you need to cry out.  



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

the dilemma of the special needs mama: to expect more or to redefine the expectation

lessons of christmas: joseph and mary

preparing for surgery: a surprise vacation