essential oIls: worshiping the Creator, not the creation

(http://articles.mercola.com/herbal-oils.aspx)



They exchanged the truth about God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator--who is forever praised. Amen.  ~romans 1:25

About two years ago I was introduced to essential oils.  It started a ripple effect in our home that has completely changed the way we view what we put into and onto our bodies.  Our diet and the way we approach our healthcare began to change as we sought out more natural pathways for our familiy. Essential oils became a big part of this new philosophy.  The more we experienced using essential oils... the more I wanted to share this gift with others and help them to find answers to questions for their healthcare needs.  

I have seen in this journey how easy it is to start to worship the creation instead of the Creator.  In the pursuit of natural health essential oils, herbal therapies, holistic doctors, different diets or food regimens can start to become an idol of worship.  I am not saying that people actually are setting up an altar of worship for these things, but they begin to take over a persons thoughts and passions.  You can see the benefit in your life from these things and start to forget the Great Physician himself.  Our Creator who works through these things to bring healing, but who also can heal us without any of these things if He so chooses.  

The use of essential oils is a wonderful tool for natural healthcare.  Especially when we allow God to work through these oils to bring wellness in our lives.  He calls us to Himself.  To spend time in prayer, talking with Him, and listening to Him through the meditation of His Word, The Bible.  In our home we practice the use of oils from the passage in Chapter 5 of the book of James.  

 “Is any among you sick? Let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord; and the prayer of faith shall save him that is sick, and the Lord shall raise him up” (5:14, 15).

When using essential oils in our home, they are accompanied with prayer.  We apply the oils and pause to pray for our Heavenly Father to bring healing to the body and the spirit.  Prayer through our own words and prayer with the Scriptures.  I find meditation on God's Word foundational when struggling with emotional health issues.  Below I have shared some of the Scriptures that can be used for meditation when using essential oils to support emotional wellness.  I hope they are a blessing to you and a reminder that ultimately our healing does not come from creation but from the Creator Himself.  
I look up to the mountains—
does my help come from there?
My help comes from the LORD,
who made heaven and earth! ~Psalm 121:1-2 

Calming and Focus (Joyful Blend, Frankincense, Focus Blend, Lavender, Peppermint,
Serenity, Breathe, Peace)
For the mountains may be removed and the hills may shake, but My loving kindness will
not be removed from you, and My covenant of peace will not be shaken, says the LORD
who has compassion, mercy and love on you. Isaiah 54:10
Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you at
the proper time, casting all your anxiety on Him, because He cares for you. Be of sober
spirit, be on the alert. Your adversary, the devil, prowls around like a roaring lion,
seeking someone to devour. But resist him, firm in your faith, knowing that the same
experiences of suffering are being accomplished by your brethren who are in the
world. After you have suffered for a little while, the God of all grace, who called you to
His eternal glory in Christ, will Himself perfect, confirm, strengthen and establish you.
1Peter 5:610
Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice! Let your gentle spirit be known
to all men. The Lord is near. Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and
supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace
of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in
Christ Jesus. Finally, Brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is
right, whatever, is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any
excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things. Philippians 4: 48
Do not worry then, saying, “What will we eat?” or “What will we drink?” or “What will
we wear for clothing?” For the Gentiles eagerly seek all these things; for your heavenly
Father knows that you need all these things. But seek first His kingdom and His
righteousness, and all these things will be added to you. So do not worry about
tomorrow; for tomorrow will care for itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.
Matthew 6: 3134
Come to Me all who are weary and heavy laden and I will give you rest. Take My yoke
upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in hear, and you will find rest
for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light. Matthew 11:2830
The LORD is the one who goes ahead of you; He will be with you. He will not fail you
or forsake you. Do not fear or be dismayed. Deuteronomy 31:8
When I am afraid, I will put my trust in You. In God, whose word I praise, In God I
have put my trust; I shall not be afraid. What can mere man do to me? Psalm 56:34
Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding, in all
your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your paths straight. Proverbs 3:56
And those who know Your name will put their trust in You, for You, O LORD, have not
forsaken those who seek You. Psalm 9:10
Now may the God of all hope fill you will all joy and peace in believing, so that you will
abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. Romans 15:13

Encouragment and Uplifting Mood (Bergamot, Grounding Blend, Joyful Blend, Frankincense, Grapefruit,
Lavender, Lemon, Lime, Melissa, Peppermint, Roman Chamomile,
Rosemary, Serenity, Ylang Ylang, Invigorating Blend, Cheer, Passion)
I waited patiently for the LORD; and He inclined to me and heard my cry. He brought
me up out of the pit of destruction, out of the miry clay, and He set my feet upon a rock
making my footsteps firm. He put a new song in my mouth, a song of praise to our
God; many will see and fear and will trust in the LORD. Psalm 40:13
In a desert land he found him, in a barren and howling waste. He shielded him and cared
for him; he guarded him as the apple of his eye. Deuteronomy 32:10
Psalms 40:1­3 I waited patiently for the LORD; he inclined to me and heard my cry. He
drew me up from the pit of destruction, out of the miry bog, and set my feet upon a rock,
making my steps secure. He put a new song in my mouth, a song of praise to our God.
Many will see and fear, and put their trust in the LORD. Psalm 40:1­3
But you, O LORD, are a shield about me, my glory, and the lifter of my head. Psalm 3:3
Why are you cast down, O my soul, and why are you in turmoil within me? Hope in God;
for I shall again praise him, my salvation and my God. Psalm 42:11
For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans for welfare and not for evil,
to give you a future and a hope. Jeremiah 29:11
For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor
things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be
able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:38­39
You are my lamp O Lord; the Lord turns my darkness into light. 2 Samuel 22:29
Answer me quickly, O Lord; my spirit fails. Do not hide your face from me or I will be like
those who go down to the pit. Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love, for I
have put my trust in you. Show me the way I should go, for to you I’ll lift up my soul.
Psalm 143:7­8
But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with
wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.
Isaiah 40:31

Peace and Rest (Grounding Blend, Clary Sage, Joyful Blend, Grapefruit, Lavender, Myrrh,
Patchouli, Sandalwood, Serenity, Women's Blend, Monthly Blend for Women, Forgive, Peace)
Whoever is slow to anger has great understanding, but he who has a hasty temper exalts
folly. Proverbs 14:29
Know this, my beloved brothers: let every person be quick to hear, slow to speak, slow to
anger; for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God. Therefore, get
rid of all moral filth and the evil that is so prevalent and humbly accept the word planted in
you, which can save you. Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves.
Do what it says. James 1:19­22
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,
gentleness, self­control; against such things there is no law. And those who belong to
Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. If we live by the Spirit,
let us also walk by the Spirit. Galatians 5:22­25
But now you must put them all away: anger, wrath, malice, slander, and obscene talk
from your mouth. Put on then, as God’s chosen ones, holy and beloved, compassionate
hearts, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience, bearing with one another and, if one
has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so
you also must forgive. Colossians 3:8, 12­13
A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control. Proverbs
29:11
A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger. Proverbs 15:1
What causes fights and quarrels among you? Don't they come from your desires that
battle within you? You want something but don't get it. You kill and covet, but you cannot
have what you want. You quarrel and fight. You do not have, because you do not ask
God. James 4:1­2
Let no unwholesome word proceed from your mouth, but only such a word as is good for
edification according to the need of the moment, that it may give grace to those who hear.
And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of
redemption. Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away
from you, along with all malice. And be kind to one another, tender­hearted, forgiving
each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you. Ephesians 4:29­32

Confidence and Hope (Grounding Blend, Console, Motivate, Passion)
The LORD is my light and my salvation ­­ so why should I be afraid? The LORD protects
me from danger ­­ so why should I tremble? Psalm 27:1
The LORD is for me, so I will not be afraid. What can mere mortals do to me? Psalm
118:6
For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-
discipline. 2 Timothy 1:7
Be strong and courageous, do not be afraid or tremble at them, for the LORD your God is
the one who goes with you. He will not fail you or forsake you. Deuteronomy 31:6
Don't be afraid, for I am with you. Do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen
you. I will help you. I will uphold you with my victorious right hand. Isaiah 41:10
When I am afraid, I will trust in you. In God, whose word I praise, in God I trust; I will not
be afraid. What can mortal man do to me? Psalm 56:3­4
Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the
One who can destroy both soul and body in hell. Matthew 10:28
For you did not receive a spirit that makes you a slave again to fear, but you received the
Spirit of sonship. And by him we cry, ""Abba," Father." Romans 8:15
Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. 1 Corinthians 16:13
Who is going to harm you if you are eager to do good? But even if you should suffer for
what is right, you are blessed. "Do not fear what they fear; do not be frightened." 1 Peter
3:13­-14
There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with
punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love. 1 John 4:18

Joy and Delight (Invigorating Blend, Joyful Blend, Cheer, Forgive)
Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many
kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. James
1:2­3
Clap your hands, all you nations; shout to God with cries of joy. Psalm 47:1
The prospect of the righteous is joy, but the hopes of the wicked come to nothing.
Proverbs 10:28
Though you have not seen him, you love him; and even though you do not see him now,
you believe in him and are filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy, for you are
receiving the goal of your faith, the salvation of your souls. 1Peter 1:8­9
May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may
overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. Romans 15:13
Nehemiah said, "Go and enjoy choice food and sweet drinks, and send some to those
who have nothing prepared. This day is sacred to our Lord. Do not grieve, for the joy of
the LORD is your strength." Nehemiah 8:10
Shout aloud and sing for joy, people of Zion, for great is the Holy One of Israel
among you. Isaiah 12:6
and the ransomed of the LORD will return. They will enter Zion with singing; everlasting
joy will crown their heads. Gladness and joy will overtake them, and sorrow and sighing
will flee away. Isaiah 35:10
For his anger lasts only a moment, but his favor lasts a lifetime; weeping may remain for a
night, but rejoicing comes in the morning. Psalm 30:5
For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking, but of righteousness,
peace and joy in the Holy Spirit Romans 14:17
Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set
before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the
throne of God. Hebrews 12:2
Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice Philippians 4:4
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness
and self­control Galatians 5:22
My lips will shout for joy, when I sing praises to you; my soul also, which you have
redeemed. Psalm 71:23

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

the dilemma of the special needs mama: to expect more or to redefine the expectation

lessons of christmas: joseph and mary

preparing for surgery: a surprise vacation