we did it

Today is the last day of school for my children.  I should say we made it.  And we did.  But the depths of my soul wants to scream, "I DID IT!"  These legs did not experience much actual running these past nine months, but today I feel like I am crossing the finish line of a marathon.  Or at least hitting a significant mile marker.  This portion of my race was long and exhausting.  There were times I hit the top of the mountain and saw the beauty of life.  And plenty more where I was struggling to just keep putting one leg in front of the other and gasp for that next breath.

I am looking forward to this summer.  We are desperately trying to slow down our pace.  After the whirlwind of the past few years, the seven of us need some room to breath and to bond together.  A chance to just be before we jump back into the schedule that fall brings.  I am definitely having to fight for it.  In this fast paced society it is easy to have your whole life planned away for you if you are not intentional to create space.

We started out our year looking like this...



And nine months later here we are.....




"I don't know how you do it." The words that greet me every time we are out.  The honest answer is that it is not always pretty. And much of this past year has been on auto pilot. So many days where I have felt way under qualified for my job promotion.  Having five kids age nine and under is not for the faint of heart.  I have tried to savor some of the sweeter moments in the blur of raising five small children.  The newborn snuggles in the middle of the night, a growing hand still reaching out for mine, secrets shared, honest giggles and  heart felt tears.  I have been given a front row seat to watching five human beings discover the plans God has for them and who He created them to be.  It is a gift.  A gift that I do not want to miss in the chaos of the day to day.  And so much of it this past year has been survival.  

My children have gone out of the house in outfits that would have never passed through the front door a few years ago.  Many evenings I finally look in the mirror at myself for the first time that day and have the same thoughts about my own appearance.  Homework and tests have been forgotten, meetings missed, emails buried, and phone calls not returned.  I am thankful for the friends that I still have and truly amazed at those who have stuck around.  But that is some of the beauty of this season of life.  Other mothers to walk beside on this journey and remind us that we are not alone.  To remind us to give ourselves grace and to laugh about the mess of life.  I am reminded of the theme song from the T.V. show of my childhood, The Wonder Years,...  "i get by with a little help from my friends."  From my dear friend who brought my children home EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. this year to the mamas in the waiting rooms,  I am forever grateful.  




Comments

  1. You HAVE done it!! The kids are doing well and are happy. You have taught them many skills from making lunches to doing laundry. Most important, they know that they are loved. They are loved by their parents. They are loved by God. (And, they are loved so much by their Nana.) I often tell people that you do an amazing job.
    I think that you are wise to have a slower pace this summer. Keep up the good work!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

the dilemma of the special needs mama: to expect more or to redefine the expectation

lessons of christmas: joseph and mary

preparing for surgery: a surprise vacation