father's day

All around the world today children will wake up to a father's day with no father to celebrate.  This fact is significant.  I lay awake last night, my heart breaking, thinking of all the children with no one to call Daddy.  Our current society tries desperately to convince us that fathers are not necessary.  I wonder if this crusade was birthed out of a desire to numb the pain of loss.  If I can convince myself that a father is not needed then I will not feel the grief caused by his absence.  Yet at the core of every human being there is a need for a father.  

There is a man who lives in my home.   When he was a boy he dreamed of things like fast cars, big waves and creating new tricks on his rollerblades.  Then he met a girl whose childhood dreams always involved being a mother to lots of children.  He said he would do one.  One child at a time.  This new adventure stretched and challenged him.  It molded him into a man.  A man who is a living example to the world of love and commitment and sacrifice.  

The idea of a big house, fast sports cars or fancy vacations were put aside for more important things.  Or really not things, but people.  He chose family.  He chose a house packed with children, an old minivan and simple vacations.  He chose to be a father to the fatherless.  He does not shrink from responsibility but chases it with passion. 

His sons will one day become husbands who stand by their covenants.  And his daughters will chose a spouse who not only respects and honors them, but also someone who makes life fun.  He has set a wonderful example for them to follow.  I am so thankful that this man is the father of my five children.  They are so blessed to have a father that chooses to love them, that works hard to provide for them, and that is faithful to never abandon them. 

Happy Father's Day to my amazing husband.  Kevin, we love you so very much!  

 

Comments

  1. I love him, too and am so blessed that he's the father of my grandchildren.

    ReplyDelete
  2. look at your 5 babies! so excited for you. beautiful family!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

the dilemma of the special needs mama: to expect more or to redefine the expectation

lessons of christmas: joseph and mary

preparing for surgery: a surprise vacation