back to school




The road back to school started last Thursday night.  I did very well holding it together through each of the three presentations and also met my own personal goal of completing all the paperwork before leaving the school that evening.... not to hard when you have to listen to the same half hour faculty presentation three times.

Friday morning the kids headed out the door with all their school supplies and bouquets of flowers for all of their teachers.  They were all so excited to meet their teacher, see their classroom and find out if they knew anyone in their classes.  Elie has five teachers, Kody has two and Tyler has two.  We were one of the first families to arrive that morning and just finished up as the principal made his announcement that it was time for everyone to exit the building.  Lots of smiling, lots of herding, lots of making sure everyone stayed together and out of trouble, lots of organizing of supplies, lots of encouraging words that everything was going to be just awesome this year.  We came home and I was completely exhausted.  I sat down on the floor of my bedroom and could not find the will power to get back up again.  That is where Kody found me... just lying on the carpet floor.  "Uh, mom, I think you need to help Faith.  She is crying because I captured Tyler's lego man."  During these last weeks of summer there has been an ongoing lego battle between Kody and Tyler's lego armies.  Apparently Kody's latest advancement had been all too much for Faith to handle.

I came downstairs to the sound of Faith crying.  This in and of itself is not significant.  The girl can produce waterworks anytime, anyplace... she is destined for the stage.  But the sound of this cry was not her normal dramatic cry, it was the real thing.  And the real thing always breaks my heart.  I instantly knew this had nothing to do with the lego battle.  I scooped her up and snuggle her close.  She confirmed my suspicion that her tears were due to the realization that everyone was going to be leaving and going back to school.  We snuggle and cried together both finally acknowledging that everything was about to change.

We had a fabulous weekend soaking up every ounce of family time possible, playing in the sun and enjoying the last days of no schedule.  And here we are at today.  The first day of school.  I dug out my watch from underneath a pile in the bathroom cabinet.  All alarms reset.  School lunches packed.  Backpacks ready.  Outfits matched and lined up.  Ready, set, here we go....



They were SO excited.  They were SO ready.  And the day went fabulous.  For all of us, really.  The kids loved school.  Kody and Tyler loved lunch and Elie loved "having fun".  And Faith and I loved our day together.  We are in a new season and I know it is going to be great, but my heart misses them so much when they are at school all day.

I conquered the drop- off without a tear, but this was another story.....


She came out of the school beaming.... smile from ear to ear... full of confidence.  And then she saw me and ran to me and gave me a hug.  She ran to me, her mama. Out of all the faces in the crowd, she chose mine. My heart overflowed.   I am so proud of her and all she has accomplished.  I am so proud of how well she did today and just so very, very thankful.

There is a song on one of my kid's CDs that I just love and I think is perfect for playing as we all send our kids back to school.  If you are anything like me... you might need a tissue.

Cow Loves Moo from Crossroads Kids' Club on Vimeo.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

the dilemma of the special needs mama: to expect more or to redefine the expectation

lessons of christmas: joseph and mary

preparing for surgery: a surprise vacation