Elie's First Day of School




I struggled for awhile about whether or not to send Eliana to school.  And then if we did send her, where should she go.  We decided to just keep moving forward until we heard a clear "no".... just the way we live the rest of our life.  Doors flung wide open to send her to preschool through our county at a local elementary school.  One step, then another, and suddenly I found myself at the day before she would start preschool.  I had wanted desperately to take her out for a fun mommy-daughter date - to purchase what she needed for school and also to spend some time together, just the two of us.  In the swirl of finding out we were pregnant and the the sickness that followed, our date had not happened.  I prayed hard all day that God would give me the strength to take her out that evening.  Kevin had offered to take her instead, but I wanted to do this, I needed to do this.

We kept it simple.  And we had a very good time together.  She picked out a hello kitty lunch box and drink cup for her lunch at school.  I let her pick out a new outfit for the first day of class.  This is huge at our house.  My children almost exclusively wear second hand clothing.  Purchasing an entire new outfit is only for very special occasions.  It was so fun to see her pick out what SHE wanted without the influence of siblings around.  And her it is...


Those pants are even more vibrant in person.  She loves pink!  After shopping we shared a snack together at the starbucks cafe in Target.  Again, it was simple, but we both had such a great time.  I know we need more times like this where she and I get away all by ourselves.  I think I need it even more than she does.  It really helps me to interact with her apart from the rest of our family chaos.  And in many ways that is true for my relationship with all of my children.

She went to school without a tear.  I did cry on the way to the car and driving home, but my heart knew this was the right decision.  She is so ready.  When I came to pick her up the teacher said she had no transition issues and was a model student.  She was made to go to school.  I miss her when she is gone and she misses us... but both of those things are good things.  It is amazing to think how far she has come in the past six months.  Truly a miracle!!







Comments

  1. Love you guys :) She is so fortunate to have you as her family. Glad she enjoyed it so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is so so so beautiful! What a lovely post, and a big girl. Happy for her!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww! What a sweet post! So glad you had that special time together!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

the dilemma of the special needs mama: to expect more or to redefine the expectation

lessons of christmas: joseph and mary

preparing for surgery: a surprise vacation