Seeing God at the Dentist




It didn't take long to notice that Elie's teeth were crying for a dentist.  Her first big laugh revealed noticeable cavities in her molars.  One so bad that the boys have nicknamed it "The Black Spot".  I had the thought that we should try to find a dentist who speaks Mandarin.  The thought went as far as saying it out loud to Kevin but made no progress beyond that point.  In the end I decided to just make an appointment for her with our pediatric dentist.

This spring we switched the kids to a new practice.  After our visit in the fall to our old dentist we knew it just wasn't the right fit for our family.  They seemed incredibly anxious to order expensive procedures for our kids and the environment left them more wired than Chuck-E-Cheese.  It was all just way over the top for all of us.  My friend, Julie, recommended another pediatric dentist to our family.  They had great success with him and felt he was more conservative in his practice.  We tried it.  We loved him.  And we left the office feeling peaceful.

So fastforward to last week and Elie's first visit to Dr. Steve.  In the commotion of taking 3 children to the dentist at the same time this past spring, I totally did not take in the fact that the doctor's last name was Lan.  Or that he appears Chinese.  Turns out he is Chinese.  He asked me if Elie understood Mandarin.  I bit my lip so I wouldn't start crying.  Yes!!!  I wanted to scream, but was able to get out, "she speaks and understands it fluently."  "Okay,"  Dr. Steve said, "I will just speak with her in Mandarin then."  What????  I think I should insert that Dr. Steve is incredibly American with zero Mandarin accent.  I wish I would have started my video camera because the next minute was full of a pure gift from God.

Elie sat with her back to the door.  Dr. Steve walked in and began to introduce himself to her.  The moment she heard Mandarin, she whipped her head around and gave him a crazy look, absolute shock that then broke into a huge smile.  He asked her name, how old she was, all about her teeth.  And she began to talk and talk with him.  I was proud of myself, I held it together the entire time.  But the moment we hit the parking lot the water works began to fall.

I didn't even ask God for a pediatric dentist really.  I thought of it and then the thought passed.  Abundant blessings.  More than I could ask or imagine.  He provided this for us way before Elie ever came home.  He directed us to this particular place for this particular moment.  Our latest appointment was with orthopedics.  The verdict, "No  Surgery Needed!!!".  They believe that all her hip needs is PT and a harness for her to wear at night while she is sleeping.  The road ahead will be hard work for all of us, but it is not going to be as grueling as we had imagined.

We have now been to 8 medical appointments, with 7 more scheduled over the next three weeks.  It is exhausting.  I have not liked being away from my other three kids so much after just getting back home.  Taking them with us is even less of an option because all of the personal attention from a physician sends Elie into orbit.  But in the crazy God has provided friends to help watch my other children, meals for our family after being out all day, wonderful doctors, special alone time with Elie, and many, many moments that have shown me my  need for a Saviour and His amazing love for me.

Comments

  1. What an awesome story! I could just see her turning around. My brother adopted a teenager from the Phillipines and found a counselor who speaks Tagalog - what a blessing from God!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing story Sonya. Love you guys! God is truly amazing! and a miracle worker. He guides our path when we aren't even aware. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. okay, seriously. do you have to make me cry almost every time you post something?! :) sonya, what an unspeakable blessing. simple as it is, it's also huge and magnificent. God will never cease to show his mercies and faithfulness...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh the tears are falling! Isn't God amazing - He is so good, I've had moments like that - just thought something and then God provides. He has done this in amazing ways - so thankful! Praising Him with you.
    Love and hugs,
    Carrie

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

the dilemma of the special needs mama: to expect more or to redefine the expectation

lessons of christmas: joseph and mary

preparing for surgery: a surprise vacation