One Month Today

One month ago today I spotted my daughter in a crowded room.  I knew who she was from the photographs we had received, but I did not know her.  I didn't know she could run really fast.  I didn't know she could walk all the way to the park. I didn't know she could sing and that when she sings her whole body lights up.  I didn't know that she rolled her sheet around her hand and sucked her thumb to go to sleep.  I didn't know how much she would crave routines.  I didn't know that she would recognize us and each of her siblings.  I didn't know that her desire to do everything that her siblings do would allow her to conquer many of her fears.  I didn't know that she could out eat everyone else in the family.  I didn't know that she loved to write and to color.  I didn't know that she had a birthmark or cavities throughout all her back molars or that her hip was not in the right place.  I didn't know how strong willed she was, that she would want to be first and police the rest of the kids even though she could speak no English.  I didn't know how much she LOVES noodles.  I didn't know that her entire world would fall apart if she saw blood and continue to fall apart of and on for the remainder of the day.  I didn't know how much she loved playing dolls.  I didn't know she would be able to kill bugs with her bare hand.   I didn't know she would try so hard to learn English and make up her own signs to communicate with us. 

I didn't know how God was going to use this little girl to refine my own heart and draw me into His own.  I didn't know that my relationship with Kevin was about to grow exponentially.  I didn't know how much our family needed this precious blessing and how much it was going to hurt.  

And at the end of today, the end of one month, I never ever expected to get what I got at bedtime.... looking right in my eyes, with a huge smile she said the words "wo ai ni"... "i love you".  Our days are long and hard and the road ahead is full of many hurdles.  But for today I will take this precious gift and just cherish the present moment.    




Comments

  1. Thanks so much for sharing this. I am filled with hope. We are praying continued blessings for your family. Praise God for his faithful love.
    Kim and Justin

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

the dilemma of the special needs mama: to expect more or to redefine the expectation

lessons of christmas: joseph and mary

preparing for surgery: a surprise vacation