A journey of faith

Here is a recent article from the INSPIRE, a magazine form the university where Kevin and I attended. www.cedarville.edu It is a beautiful story of a young woman from Kenya and God's amazing faithfulness. I couldn't stop reading it and wanted to share it with others. Wouldn't it be incredible if we could provide this opportunity to more young women from Africa...it would change nations.



16 SUMMER 2009
A Journey of Faith by Mercie Moluche ’12, as told to Sharyn Kopf

As she moved from a village in Kenyato a college in America, Mercie cameto recognize God’s ever-faithful presence.CEDARVILLE UNIVERSITY 17Some days it’s hard to believe that I’m in Americaand at Cedarville. It’s been a long, difficult journey, but Iknow there’s a reason God brought me here.My story begins in a small village in Kenya, where Igrew up on a farm with many siblings. My mom alone hadeight children, and my dad had two other wives besides her.In my family, my mother was the only member whowas a Christian. She took me to church and talked to myyounger sister Daisy and me about Jesus. Then, when I was12, my mom passed away from throat cancer. Still, I keptgoing to church even though I didn’t fully know what itmeant to be saved. And God continued working in my life.Although my village didn’t value education, especiallyfor girls, I had the opportunity to attend a primary school.Since I did well on my exams at that level, my dad allowedme to go to high school in a nearby city. This gave me achance to become involved in Christian organizationsand continue going to church. At that point, I began tounderstand salvation — that it wasn’t just about going tochurch but about giving your life to Christ. And so, whenI was 15 years old, I accepted Jesus as my Savior.Escaping TraditionIn my village, girls are expected to follow certaintraditions when they turn 13. Most of my peers weregetting married, and female circumcision still happensin my community — two of my sisters had it done. But Ifought those traditions.I moved to America during my third year of highschool, escaping from a family that wanted me to leaveschool and get married. Fortunately, I have an uncle wholives in the United States. He helped me get a passportand even paid for my ticket to Massachusetts. But that’snot to say that my life was suddenly easier.Within the first year, I had to learn a new language,adapt to a different culture, find a church, take SATs,and use computers. Even the cold weather was anadjustment for me!Since my uncle was a truck driver,he was gone most of the time, and I wasby myself a lot. But again, God providedthe right people in my life at the righttime. At my church, I met a couple,Rob and Becky Riley, who offered tobe my guardians after they heard mystory. I lived with them for three years.Meanwhile, I was finishing highschool, which was very difficult for mebecause I had to learn a new language.In Kenya, I knew my tribal languageand the national language of Swahili. But even thoughI had learned to read and speak English, I had troubleunderstanding the language when someone else spoke it.Still, it wasn’t long before I started thinking aboutcollege. I knew I couldn’t afford it, especially as aninternational student without access to financial aid.Recognizing this, the Rileys asked to be my permanentguardians and took the matter to court. It was a longprocess that required my father’s permission. I wrote mydad a letter — but never heard back. It’s not easy for mailto get to my village. But miraculously, the courts approvedthe guardianship, and then I applied for residency.Soon after, a friend introduced me to Cedarville.To be honest, I wasn’t expecting to be accepted, and Icertainly didn’t know how I would pay for it. But whenthe University sent me my acceptance letter, I startedasking God to provide a way.Embracing GraceAs always, God is faithful, and I began attendingCedarville in the fall of 2008. I started with 13 hoursof classes so I wouldn’t be overwhelmed. For awhile, Iwas working 24 hours a week in Dayton, but I was ableto cut my hours in half when I got a custodial job at theUniversity. It’s exciting how it all turned out! I like myclasses, and I’m doing well.Recently, Cedarville accepted me into the newpharmacy program. For as long as I can remember,I’ve wanted to go into a health field. I chose to doublemajorin biology and prepharmacy, since the field ofpharmacy is something I can take back to Kenya.If God allows, I’d like to return someday to my homecountry to see my family and help the people in my village.My oldest sister, Helen, has had AIDS for seven years.With so many diseases in our village, it’s especially hardfor someone with a weak immune system. I worry abouther and call once a week to hear how she’s doing.I miss home, but I’m praying forthe financial help to stay here sincethis is where God wants me. I certainlynever dreamed I’d be doing what I amdoing. It hasn’t been easy, and I’mstressed a lot. But in the few monthsI’ve been at Cedarville I’ve grown somuch. I realize I couldn’t have madeit without Christ’s help. That’s the mainthing I’ve learned from my experiences— no matter how difficult my situation,God is always there for me, and I amnever alone.“ No matter how difficult my situation, God isalways there for me, and I am never alone.”Mercie Moluche ’12 looks forward to hersecond year at Cedarville as she preparesfor the next part of her journey. You maycontact her at mmoluche@cedarville.edu.i

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

the dilemma of the special needs mama: to expect more or to redefine the expectation

lessons of christmas: joseph and mary

preparing for surgery: a surprise vacation