Comprehending the Unimaginable

As I ran a few days ago, the boys sat in our double jogger and played grocery store. They were buying all sorts of things from each other: ice cream, soup, beans... and then Tyler asked to buy a cup of pee. This caused both of them to laugh hysterically and then repeat the request over and over to the tune of more laughing. I love their little games, even though five years into motherhood I still don't understand why just mentioning the word pee is cause for hysterical laughter. As I ran on to the music of my children's laughter, my mind drifted back to a conversation I had recently with a friend on the topic of urine.......


There is an awesome organization called Charity Water (check it out, it will change your life http://www.charitywater.com/) that is working to give everyone in the world clean water to drink, one well at a time. I had just finished watching one of their videos of a community in Tigray, Ethiopia, when my wonderful Ethiopian friend (Saba) called to catch up. I was explaining to her the video and the work of Charity Water. She then began to tell me a real life story of what happens when there is no water to drink.

During the Ethiopian -Eritrean War just a few years ago, many in the northern Tigray region were dying from dehydration. There was just nothing to drink. The only way to stay alive and survive was to drink your own urine. Saba explained that a friend of hers was highly recognized because during this time she put her own life in extreme peril by giving her urine away for others to drink. She became dehydrated herself because she selflessly shared her urine with those who were thirsty.

My mind just spins when I try to even comprehend this situation. And I realize that no matter how I try, the truth is I cannot even begin to understand what it would be like to live in this type of poverty. God has blessed my family immeasurably. Any time we want a drink of water it is there. Anytime we want something to eat it is there. We have a beautiful home that keeps us cool in summer and warm in winter. I have two extremely healthy children and a husband who loves me and treats me with respect. I can walk down the street without fearing for my life and worship God without any threat of persecution. I am so thankful for our daughter and how she is opening our eyes to the abundant blessings that we get to enjoy.

I hope this story also opens your eyes to your own blessings in your life and then spurs you on to share that abundance with others.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

the dilemma of the special needs mama: to expect more or to redefine the expectation

lessons of christmas: joseph and mary

preparing for surgery: a surprise vacation