The DMV of Adoption

The waiting period of an adoption feels much like being at the DMV. As you look around the room and note the ratio of people waiting to the number of windows open, it seems that things should be moving much faster. The wait continues to drag on and on and though you know in your intellect that there will be an end, your emotions keep screaming that you may be sitting here for the rest of your life. As my friend recently said, "the wait is long and long and long".



Our hearts long for our little girl. And so we continue to trust God's timing when it doesn't make much sense. I was thinking recently about when we were trying to conceive our first child. The months dragged on and on turning into years. The doctors said that my body would not be able to make a child without some outside assistance. Then the medication was giving me horrible side effects with no results. My heart cried out to God....when will this longing of my heart be answered, when will I be able to have a child? And God answered with Phil 4:19, "And my God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus." Whether it was through a bi0logical child, an adoption or a life of working with children....God would meet this need of my heart. And just as God answered the first time with my miracle baby boy, He will be sure to answer again.

When I was in college one of our chapel speakers said something that continues to challenge me today. "Commit your way to the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart (ps 37:4-8) Sometimes your "loves" may be put in the background for God to work His will in your life. But by committing to the Lord, in the end He will use your "loves" in amazing ways that you couldn't have even imagined before."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

the dilemma of the special needs mama: to expect more or to redefine the expectation

lessons of christmas: joseph and mary

preparing for surgery: a surprise vacation